School stress is completely normal. Along with the stress from school, sports, and friends, just being a teenager is extremely stressful—there is so much going on and so many changes all happening at once! Many things that cause stress are out of our control. However, the impact that they have on us can be minimized by some positive thoughts and productive, calming actions. Now, all you have to do is choose from the list below for a way to deal with that stress and just apply it to your daily routine!
1. Exercise. Moving around or exercising will clear your head and lift your mood. It also increases endorphin levels—the natural chemicals that leave you feeling happy.
2. Eat Well. Start off your day with some healthy food because it can affect your entire day. Eat some fruits or nuts and it can really give you a jolt of energy. But, most importantly, stop eating stuff that’s bad for you!
3. Laugh. Laughter is truly the best medicine. Studies show that laughter can easily make you feel better. So, even if it means you need an assist from some romantic comedies from the 80s and 90s, lighten up and laugh.
4. Get Some Sleep. When you don’t get enough sleep, you can feel irritated or cranky, which may make it tough to think clearly. Sleep is a big deal, so forget about your stress and get some!
5. Lend a hand. Helping your community can make you feel appreciative of everything that you have and proud of what you have accomplished.
For my last piece of advice: don’t ignore you stress! Use it as your motivation to keep your body and your mind healthy and happy.
Reviewed by Dr. Amy Herold