Achieving your goals can be complicated, especially when you set out to accomplish something and you encounter people who tell you the “right way” to do things. Let me tell you, the “right way” is different for everyone.
If ever you get rattled by the uncertainty of what lies ahead and how you’ll make your mark on the world, think about these seven helpful tips for achieving your goals. They’re little pearls of wisdom that have helped me and other Girlmentum members achieve our wildest dreams.
1. Listen to your gut, but do the research, and ask for advice to back up your instincts. (Thanks to Joe Spector for this one!)
2. Remember that every experience you have gives you insight. Some of your worst experiences will also be your best ones. You’ll see.
3. Taking uncomfortable risks, feeling insecure, and failing are all part of the process. We’re taught to be perfect in school. When it comes to building toward something in the future, you have to get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable, you have to accept some social awkwardness, and you have to be okay with not knowing everything at first. You may not always get an “A,” but you’ll learn what you need to in time. P.S. – We have some great tips for helping you build your confidence.
4. If you don’t know what your goals are, that’s okay. Not everyone has a plan, and people with plans know that the best laid plans don’t always work out.
5. Once you decide on your goals, keep your eye on them – but be flexible in how they take shape. Sometimes, when you think you’re headed right where you want to go, something more wonderful than you ever could have imagined happens!
6. Don’t let other people define you. You will encounter naysayers and bullies. Surround yourself with people who believe in you.
7. Stay focused, stay positive, and keep going. You’ll get there!